Our Favorite Country Drinking Songs
On December 5, 1933, America had a big reason to hoist a glass skyward—that day marked the end of the Prohibition Era. Beginning in mid-January 1920 and lasting nearly 13 years, Prohibition laws outlawed the manufacture and transporting of all alcoholic beverages. It wasn’t illegal to drink ’em if you had ’em (and illegal activity flourished, besides). But 77 years ago this week, you could come out of hiding and raise one with a pal at the corner tavern—which is really the whole point, isn’t it?
In honor of the anniversary, here on tap are country’s top tunes about tippling (in our humble opinion).
Top 5 Songs About Public Drinking
- “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks (1990)
- “It’s Five ’o Clock Somewhere” by Alan Jackson With Jimmy Buffett (2003)
- “I Love This Bar” by Toby Keith (2003)
- “Out Last Night” by Kenny Chesney (2009)
- “The More I Drink” by Blake Shelton (2007)
Top 5 Songs About Alcoholic Beverages
- “Straight Tequila Night” by John Anderson (1991)
- “Two Piña Coladas” by Garth Brooks (1997)
- “Alcohol” by Brad Paisley (2005)
- “Ten Rounds with José Cuervo” by Tracy Byrd (2002)
- “Pop a Top” by Alan Jackson (1999)
Got song title ideas of your own? Vote for one of the above or submit your own pick!. The results will be displayed here after Dec. 6.