View the original article at: http://www.countryweekly.com/news/sammy-kershaw-ok-after-home-catches-fire
Sammy Kershaw is "counting his blessings" after helping extinguish a fire at his home in Lafayette, La., Thursday (April 4). Sammy's home sustained heavy smoke damage but Sammy himself was not injured.
The fire started inadvertently when Sammy grabbed a box of homemade spices that he was delivering to a friend. The box containing the spices slid across the stove and, unknown to Sammy, managed to catch the knobs that ignite the burners. Sammy left the home but was alerted to the fire by his alarm company. He immediately returned home and threw towels on the stovetop to smother the flames. The local fire department arrived and extinguished the fire completely. Sammy notes that there were evidently flammable items on the stovetop that caught fire.
"This could have been so much worse," Sammy said in a release. "You've got to count your blessings, every one of them."
Country Weekly sends our best wishes to Sammy.