View the original article at: http://www.countryweekly.com/cooking/chappy%E2%80%99s-crawfish-etouff233e
Chappy’s Crawfish Étouffée
- ½ pound butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 ribs chopped celery
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1½ quarts chicken stock
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cups peeled, cooked crawfish tails
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In large pot, melt butter on high heat.
- Add flour slowly and continue to whisk until it becomes a peanut-butter-color brown.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery to the roux and reduce heat. Continue stirring.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Slowly add chicken stock and add bay leaves.
- Mix thoroughly for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to slow boil.
- Add crawfish, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Lower heat again and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle around an island of cooked rice.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and green onion.