BRAD, KENNY WIN BIG AT ACMS
Brad Paisley and Ronnie Dunn were three-time winners at the 41st Academy of Country Music Awards, May 23, in Las Vegas—but Kenny Chesney took home the biggest prize.
Kenny won Entertainer of the Year for the second consecutive time, while his good friend Keith Urban took home the Top Male Vocalist honor.
Brad's three wins came for Album of the Year, Time Well Wasted, along with Vocal Event of the Year and Video of the Year for "When I Get Where I'm Going," featuring Dolly Parton. Backstage, Brad praised Dolly's contribution, saying, "Her part was really just a harmony vocal for most artists, but the power of Dolly is that she turned a harmony into a Vocal Event."
Brooks & Dunn won Top Vocal Duo and were also honored as performers on the Song of the Year, "Believe." Ronnie picked up an extra award as a co-writer on "Believe."
The ACMs further confirmed that Carrie Underwood is a superstar in the making as she scored two wins in her first year of eligibility: Top New Female Vocalist and Single Record of the Year for "Jesus, Take the Wheel."
And the night's biggest surprise? Sara Evans' victory as Top Female Vocalist, winning over frontrunners like Carrie Underwood and the reigning CMA Female Vocalist of the Year, Gretchen Wilson.
Here's the complete list of winners for the 41st Academy of Country Music Awards.
- Entertainer of the Year—Kenny Chesney
- Top Male Vocalist—Keith Urban
- Top Female Vocalist—Sara Evans
- Top Vocal Group—Rascal Flatts
- Top Vocal Duo—Brooks & Dunn
- Top New Male Vocalist—Jason Aldean
- Top New Female Vocalist—Carrie Underwood
- Top New Duo or Vocal Group—Sugarland
- Album of the Year—Time Well Wasted, Brad Paisley. Producers: Frank Rogers and Chris DuBois
- Single Record of the Year—"Jesus, Take the Wheel," Carrie Underwood. Producer: Mark Bright
- Song of the Year—"Believe," Brooks & Dunn. Writers: Ronnie Dunn, Craig Wiseman
- Video of the Year—"When I Get Where I'm Going," Brad Paisley featuring Dolly Parton. Producers: Mark Kalbfeld, Peter Tilden. Director: Jim Shea.
- Vocal Event of the Year—"When I Get Where I'm Going," Brad Paisley featuring Dolly Parton. Producers: Chris DuBois, Frank Rogers.
- Academy of Country Music/The Home Depot Humanitarian Award—Vince Gill
For more on the ACMs, including our exclusive seven-page ACM style coverage, pick up the June 19 issue of Country Weekly, on sale June 5.