2007 CMA Awards Winners
Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley win big at the 41st annual Country Music Association Awards.
Kenny Chesney took home the biggest honor at the 41st annual Country Music Association Awards, but Sugarland pulled off the biggest upset: The twosome became the first act in six years to defeat Brooks & Dunn for Vocal Duo of the Year. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood took home two awards apiece at the show, held Nov. 7 at Nashville’s Sommet Center.
Tracy Lawrence’s teaming with Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw, “Find Out Who Your Friends Are,” was a winner for Musical Event of the Year. Kenny noted backstage that while winning the Entertainer of the Year prize was “very satisfying,” he was just as happy to see old friend Tracy taking home his first CMA award ever.
Another first-timer, 17-year-old Taylor Swift, became the second-youngest CMA winner ever when she got the Horizon Award (LeAnn Rimes was 15 when she won the same category 10 years ago). “Winning this means I’ll be wondering all week if this is all a dream,” she said backstage.
And the Winners Are . . .
- Entertainer of the Year – Kenny Chesney
- Male Vocalist of the Year – Brad Paisley
- Female Vocalist of the Year – Carrie Underwood
- Vocal Group of the Year – Rascal Flatts
- Vocal Duo of the Year – Sugarland
- Horizon Award – Taylor Swift
- Album of the Year – It Just Comes Natural, George Strait
- Single of the Year – “Before He Cheats,” Carrie Underwood
- Song of the Year – “Give It Away,” George Strait (Songwriters: Bill Anderson, Buddy Cannon and Jamey Johnson)
- Musical Event of the Year – “Find Out Who Your Friends Are” Tracy Lawrence featuring Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney
- Music Video of the Year – “Online,” Brad Paisley (Director: Jason Alexander)
- Musician of the Year – Jerry Douglas