Cuban Black Beans with Saffron Rice
- 1 lb. dried black beans
- 4 quarts water
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 12 small sweet chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1 lb. Vigo saffron yellow rice
- Sort and wash beans. Soak in hot water overnight.
- Drain beans and place in 4 quarts water. Add ham hock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook about 10 minutes. Add peppers and season with salt and pepper. Add bay leaves and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup drained, cooked beans to onion mixture and mash beans thoroughly. Stir in sugar and 1 tsp. oregano. Add onion mixture to bean pot, cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium heat.
- Add red wine, cider vinegar, hot sauce, remaining oregano and cumin. Uncover and cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice.